Curiosity Killed the Cat

As you probably have heard by now, Mars apparently has a rodent infestation!
Mouse on Mars, not to be confused with the electronic duo from Germany.


You’ve Got [a bit of] Mail

I feel as though I receive a lot of emails (mainly trivial junk that I don’t open, but emails nonetheless) and I began to wonder if there was a certain day of the week I received more, in comparison to the other days (don’t ask why, I’m not even sure why that crossed my mind).

I began an observational study on October 12, in which I would tally up the number of emails I received each day. It should be noted that I have three active email accounts: one for school, a Gmail account that’s linked to my phone, and my main Hotmail account I’ve had since high school. The latter is where I get most of my emails. So I counted emails for six weeks.

This is a chart of the data:
Emails Chart

About 177 emails per week… yikes. Probably close to 7 of these were important or required a response.

I also like graphs, so I made a graph of the average number of emails received per day:
Email Graph

According to the data, Thursdays and Fridays seem to be the preferred day to send out emails, while the weekend showed a significant drop. I guess spammers need days off too.

Colour Me Ionic

These are before & after pictures of an experiment I did to observe the precipitates of ionic reactions, dealing with basic solubility rules. The experiment was actually a little boring and tedious as far as experiments go, but the results were colourful!

In the first picture, each row contains (in order from the top):
copper (II) nitrate
cobalt (II) nitrate
iron (III) nitrate
barium nitrate
nickel (II) nitrate

In the second picture, each column shows the solutions after each of the following were added (in order from the left):
sodium phosphate
sodium iodide
sodium chloride
sodium sulfate
sodium bicarbonate
sodium carbonate
sodium hydroxide

Ionic Reactions

Gneiss and Sweet Experiment

In this experiment I plan to make a supersaturated sugar solution, in which large sugar crystals will form after the solution has cooled.

This phenomenon occurs because as a liquid is heated, the solubility increases, allowing more solute to dissolve. As the liquid cools, the solubility lowers and any excess solute in the solution crystallizes out.

Materials: pan, wooden spoon, measuring cup, string, ruler, jar, sugar, food colouring, water, a bead, scissors, time


Step One: I measured out one cup of water, and brung it to a rolling boil.
Step Two: Preparing the string- I attached a small bead to the end of the string, and measured the length out so that the bead was just above the bottom of the jar (about 11 cm). Then I dipped the string in a little water, coated it in sugar, and attached it to a ruler.IMG_20151105_123525

The bead acts as a weight to keep the string down in the liquid.

Step Three: As soon as the water started to boil, I began to add the sugar, one cup at a time and stirred the water until all of the sugar was dissolved. I continued to add sugar until no more sugar would dissolve; this created a supersaturated solution.
Step Four: After adding about 10 drops of colouring to the jar, I poured in the sugar-water solution. Since the sugar added volume to the water, I ended up with a little more than one jar would hold, so I used two!
Step Five: I placed the ruler with the strings attached over the jars so that the strings where hanging centered in the jars.


And now the waiting begins.
“It’s been one week since you looked at me”

-Barenaked  Ladies

One Week Later: The sugar didn’t quite solidify on the strings as I had intended. This is most likely due to the fact that I simply coated the string with sugar and didn’t allow them to fully dry. The sugar from the strings must have dissolved once they were placed into the solution. The dried sugar crystals on the strings would have created a place for the sugar crystals to begin growing. However, there was crystal growth on the surface of the liquid, as well as on the bottom of the jar.



After scooping all the solid sugar out of the jar, these are the ‘rocks’ I yielded:


In conclusion, slightly failed experiment, equally delicious results!

Eggcellent Experiment

This experiment shows how osmosis works; it involves an egg, vinegar, corn syrup, and some patience.IMG_20151104_110540Day One: Egg in Vinegar
The vinegar dissolves the egg shell.
IMG_20151104_133121Day Two: 
Here is the egg, still in vinegar, with the shell mostly dissolved.
IMG_20151105_120709Took the egg out of the jar; it was squishy!
IMG_20151105_120943After the egg and jar were rinsed, the egg was put back into the jar with corn syrup.
IMG_20151105_121216Day Three:
Since the concentration on the syrup was higher than the egg, the water diffused through the membrane of the egg, making the egg shriveled. This is the egg still in the syrup.
This is what the egg looked like out of the syrup.
IMG_20151106_155148For an extra experiment, I recommend boiling this shriveled egg, adding some salt and pepper and giving it a taste… haha!