Gneiss and Sweet Experiment

In this experiment I plan to make a supersaturated sugar solution, in which large sugar crystals will form after the solution has cooled.

This phenomenon occurs because as a liquid is heated, the solubility increases, allowing more solute to dissolve. As the liquid cools, the solubility lowers and any excess solute in the solution crystallizes out.

Materials: pan, wooden spoon, measuring cup, string, ruler, jar, sugar, food colouring, water, a bead, scissors, time

IMG_20151105_122201

Step One: I measured out one cup of water, and brung it to a rolling boil.
Step Two: Preparing the string- I attached a small bead to the end of the string, and measured the length out so that the bead was just above the bottom of the jar (about 11 cm). Then I dipped the string in a little water, coated it in sugar, and attached it to a ruler.IMG_20151105_123525

The bead acts as a weight to keep the string down in the liquid.

Step Three: As soon as the water started to boil, I began to add the sugar, one cup at a time and stirred the water until all of the sugar was dissolved. I continued to add sugar until no more sugar would dissolve; this created a supersaturated solution.
Step Four: After adding about 10 drops of colouring to the jar, I poured in the sugar-water solution. Since the sugar added volume to the water, I ended up with a little more than one jar would hold, so I used two!
Step Five: I placed the ruler with the strings attached over the jars so that the strings where hanging centered in the jars.

IMG_20151105_123637

And now the waiting begins.
“It’s been one week since you looked at me”

-Barenaked  Ladies

One Week Later: The sugar didn’t quite solidify on the strings as I had intended. This is most likely due to the fact that I simply coated the string with sugar and didn’t allow them to fully dry. The sugar from the strings must have dissolved once they were placed into the solution. The dried sugar crystals on the strings would have created a place for the sugar crystals to begin growing. However, there was crystal growth on the surface of the liquid, as well as on the bottom of the jar.

IMG_20151111_085330

IMG_20151111_085422

After scooping all the solid sugar out of the jar, these are the ‘rocks’ I yielded:

Rocks

In conclusion, slightly failed experiment, equally delicious results!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s