I was recently given an ancient stone, said to contain primitive fossils. I have documented my findings in the pictures below.
Starting clockwise is what the stone began as. Hours later I unearthed what appeared to be the remains of a skeletal tailbone.
Many hours later, I had completely broken down the stone, and uncovered many fragments of the creature.
After some investigation and research, I was able to piece the fragments together; I am lead to believe that what I have found is the remains of a tyrannosaurus, meaning “tyrant lizard” in ancient Greek.
In Latin, ‘Rex’ means king.
A big thank you to my archaeology assistant for helping expedite the process!
And since we’re on the topic, here’s a little T.Rex humour:
I present the process of my frog dissection!
Picture One: In the top image you can see where the skin initially ripped, exposing the underlying muscles.
Picture Two: The specimen was pinned down; the image on the right shows the outer layer of skin peeled back, exposing muscles. A piece of internal organ is also peeking out! The bluish substance is a latex dye used in the preservation process to better show the veins.
Picture Three: The image on the left shows all of the organs in place. The yellowish bits are the fat bodies. The image on the right is the aftermath of pulling the organs out. The red substance is similar to the previously mentioned blue latex dye, however it shows the arteries rather than the veins.
Image 1- The stomach, wrapped around the pancreas. The blue organs are the liver, which is the largest organ in the frog’s body.
Image 2- The gall bladder.
Image 3- The small intestine.
Image 4- The fat bodies.
Image 5- The pale organ is the oviduct/ovaries (this frog was female). The smaller red organ is the heart, which contains three chambers, unlike a mammal heart which contains four. The larger red organ is the lung.
Picture 5: Cut open the leg to see more of the muscle and bone!
Next time there’s a ‘frog in your throat’, you’ll have a better idea of what it looks like, haha!
And here’s a little video of the first few incisions.. nothing too cool.
Here’s a quick little video of me balancing an equation using the ion-electron method!
After reviewing this problem, I noticed that I actually messed up the first half-reaction by adding the incorrect number of electrons (math is hard). The correct balanced equation is this:
In case anyone is curious, the song playing is Exiles by Third Eye Blind.
Candy canes have been a holiday staple since about the 1670’s, but I decided, present day, to try and grow my own!
I placed a candy cane seed in soil…
waited about a week…
and had a lovely little candy cane sprout!
Just in time for the holidays!
I frequently find myself looking for new ways to procrastinate studying; my most recent project involved the creation of a volcano!
I had no initial plan, but it started out easy enough; I began to dig a bunch of materials out of the recycling…
…and it began!
At about this point, I decided to name it Mt. Margarita, lending it’s name from the old margarita mix bottle I used as the base. A big shout out to Safeway and Albertsons for their weekly advertisements. (Is that $1.99 wine I see? Be right back.)
Next came the paint!
After a few set backs and slight discouragements in my artistic abilities, the final product came to be! Definitely not perfect, but it turned out better than I expected.
Eruption time! A big thanks to my lab assistant!
Admittedly, this was our second attempt at an explosion; nothing happened the first time. I’m a little embarrassed to say, but for a fraction of a moment, I thought I was experiencing some revolutionary chemical discovery, for instance maybe the glitter and dye counterbalanced the reaction between baking soda and vinegar… The reality was I got overly excited and used distilled water instead of vinegar, haaaaa. Oops.
*Dyslexic alert! Note that the atomic symbol for Nobelium is actually No; Oxygen and Nitrogen didn’t flow as nicely in the title.