Mt. Margarita

I frequently find myself looking for new ways to procrastinate studying; my most recent project involved the creation of a volcano!
I had no initial plan, but it started out easy enough; I began to dig a bunch of materials out of the recycling…


…and it began!


At about this point, I decided to name it Mt. Margarita, lending it’s name from the old margarita mix bottle I used as the base. A big shout out to Safeway and Albertsons for their weekly advertisements. (Is that $1.99 wine I see? Be right back.)

Next came the paint!


After a few set backs and slight discouragements in my artistic abilities, the final product came to be! Definitely not perfect, but it turned out better than I expected.


Eruption time! A big thanks to my lab assistant!

Admittedly, this was our second attempt at an explosion; nothing happened the first time. I’m a little embarrassed to say, but for a fraction of a moment, I thought I was experiencing some revolutionary chemical discovery, for instance maybe the glitter and dye counterbalanced the reaction between baking soda and vinegar… The reality was I got overly excited and used distilled water instead of vinegar, haaaaa. Oops.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s