I extracted some DNA from peas (which was not quite as exciting as it sounds).
First, I had to let the split peas soak overnight in distilled water. Afterwards their soak I added the peas to salty water.
Next, I transferred the peas to a mortar, and began to mash! When the peas were properly mashed up, I strained the liquid through a cheesecloth. To that liquid I added a few drops of dish detergent, and let the mixture chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
After pouring the chilled, green liquid into a test tube, papain powder (meat tenderizer) was added, followed by an amount of cold isopropyl alcohol. The whitish liquid about the green in the test tube (pictured below) is the DNA. Hard to see here, the DNA was a cluster of stringy white filaments.
I extracted a drop of the whitish DNA liquid and prepared a slide in order to view it under a microscope. The image below, though not a great quality, shows the little clusters of DNA (the dark ‘spots’) at 200X.